The SERVICOM Unit is under the Executive Secretary‟s Office. The Unit is the engine of the Commission to realize the UBE Mandate by recommending and helping the management to provide basic services to which each citizen is entitled in a timely, fair, honest, effective, and transparent manner.
The basic functions of the SERVICOM Unit include but are not limited to:
- Liaising between the Commission and the Federal Ministry of Education on SERVICOM matters.
- Representing the Commission in the Ministerial SERVICOM Unit quarterly meetings.
- Monitoring and updating the activities of State and Zonal Offices on Service delivery.
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing the Commission‟s Service Charter.
- Processing reports from State and Zonal Offices on the response from stakeholders on UBEC Service delivery.
The following achievements were recorded during the course of the year:
- Reviewed, printed and distributed UBEC Service Charter (Second Edition).
- Service Delivery awareness and Work Plan training in collaboration with World Bank BESDA Environmental and Social Safeguards Programme for all BESDA Focus States.
- Servicing of SERVICOM Committee Meetings.
- Review and Update of UBEC Service Charter.
The Unit faced the following constraints in the process of carrying out its activities:
- Inadequate funds to implement the Unit‟s activities.
- Inadequate training of SERVICOM Staff.
The following activities are on-going:
- Quarterly Seminar of SUBEBs‟ SERVICOM Focal Officers. Implementation of UBEC BESDA Safeguards Programme.
- Training Workshops for SERVICOM Unit staff and those of SUBEB SERVICOM Committee UBEC.
The Unit intends to carry out the following activities in the future:
- Follow-up monitoring of the SUBEBs, LGEAs, and schools to ensure the establishment and functionality of SERVICOM Unit at the State Level.
- Quarterly Networking Seminar with SUBEBs SERVICOM Desk Officers.
- Quarterly Training of UBEC SERVICOM Unit staff by the SERVICOM Institute.
- Training of UBEC members of staff on SERVICOM ideals.
- Hosting of MSUs Quarterly meetings with MDAs under the Federal Ministry of Education.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of SERVICOM ideals at the UBEC Zonal Offices and SUBEBs.
- Conduct seminar for SUBEBs‟ SERVICOM Officers on the SERVICOM progress reports expected from them.