Community Empowerment and Development School-Based Management Committee – School Improvement Programme (SBMCSIP
SBMC-SIP encourages community participation and ownership of schools. The Commission. through the programme, disburses funds directly to SBMCs for the improvement of infrastructure, learning materials and equipment in schools. The overall import is to increase access to education, qualitative education and achieving equity in the provision of Basic Education in Nigeria.
The Unit carried out the under listed activities during the year under review:
- Disbursed the 1st tranche support funds under the Micro, Macro and Special Cases projects to 2,461 school/communities.
- Organized SBMC workshop to train Master Trainers on SBMC using the SBMC Guidelines, SBMC trainers Manual, Mentoring and Monitoring Pack and SBMC-SIP Implementation Manual.
- Cascaded the SBMC training at State level to selected beneficiary schools and LGEA SBMC Desk officers.
- Conducted Mid-term monitoring to SBMC-SIP beneficiary schools to ascertain 75% and above project execution/implementation for second tranche payment.
- Disbursed 25% support funds to selected SBMC-SIP beneficiary schools that were recommended for payment after Mid-term monitoring in the 36 States and FCT.
- Conducted final monitoring of all SBMC-SIP beneficiary schools to determine the level of project completion.
Special Needs Education
The Special Needs Education is one of the key programmes of the Commission aimed at bridging the education gap between children with psycho-social, mental or physical challenges in basic education delivery. The Commission supports states and private providers to ensure that children with special needs acquire basic education and are adequately catered for, irrespective of their psycho-physical conditions.
The following activities were carried out under this sub-programme during the period under review:
- Verified information of private providers of education for children with special needs that applied for 2018 support fund;
- Facilitated the disbursement of 2018 Special Needs Education support fund to eligible SUBEBs; and
- Facilitated the disbursement of the first and second tranche of funds to the eligible schools/centres from the 2018 Special Needs Education intervention Fund.
Open Schooling Programme (OSP)
The Open Schooling Programme is instituted to promote enrolment, retention and completion of basic education in a flexible education system that allows learners learn in a conducive local learning environment at an agreed time with the community away from the conventional schooling system using Information and Communication Technology tools.
The under listed activities were carried out in OSP during the year under review:
- Organized a 2-day preparatory meeting of stakeholders comprising SUBEB Chairmen representing the six (6) Pilot States, Content Developers and Center Managers to acquaint them on their expected roles and responsibilities.
- Organized a 5-day training for Content Developers and Center Managers on Open School Programme.
- Commenced Content Development for the Open Schooling Programme.
- Conducted virtual meetings between Federal Ministry of Education, Content Developers, Center Mangers, UBEC and Commonwealth of Learning (COL) to map out strategies in implementing the programme due to the COVID 19 pandemic.
Rapid Response Initiative
The Department organized a three-day capacity building workshop for UBEC‟s Social Mobilization Officers and SUBEBs‟ Enrolment Drive Desk Officers in the 36 States and FCT.
To continuously enhance stakeholder partnerships in UBE delivery, the
Commission has established partnerships with different NGOs, the Organized Private Sector and line Ministries interested in supporting basic education delivery.
The Unit has accomplished the under-listed activities:
- recommended support for the implementation of some programmes initiated by different stakeholders intervening in basic education delivery such as:
- Access to Humanitarian Assistance and Development Initiative (AHDI),
- Africa Support and Empowerment Initiative,
- National Association of the Blind (NAB); and
- I Am The Future of Nigeria Youth Initiative;
- initiated partnership arrangements with Organized Private Sector; and
- initiated the development of a framework on stakeholder engagement in Basic Education delivery.
The Department is engaged in the following on-going projects:
▪ School-Based Management Committee-School Improvement Programme (SBMC-SIP)
- Subsequent disbursement of funds to 2017/2018 selected beneficiary schools that were later recommended for payment after monitoring of project execution.
- Preparation and commencement of 2019 SBMC-SIP activities for the year 2020.
▪ Public and Private Partnership
- Development of Framework on Public and Private Partnership and
- Stakeholders‟ engagement in basic education delivery.
- Engagement with Public and Private Partnership stakeholders‟ to further strengthen synergy among stakeholders.
▪ Awareness and Buy-in-Strategies
Completion of Zonal Enrolment Drive in outstanding States.
The following activities are planned for accomplishment in the future:
School-Based Management Committee-School Improvement Programme (SBMC-SIP)
- Conduct of training of Master Trainers (UBEC/SUBEB officials and SBMC-SIP Desk Officers) on project implementation to build their capacity to cascade same at the State level.
- Advocacy and sensitization of grassroot stakeholders on SBMC-SIP project concept, selection and implementation procedures.
- Verification of schools selected for the 2019 projects that are in dire need of the SBMC-SIP intervention in each State.
- Disbursement of project implementation support funds to SUBEBs and LGEAs.
- Cluster Based Training of the Project Implementation Sub-Committees (PISCs) of each selected beneficiary school/community under the 2019 SBMC-SIP programme implementation.
- Official flag-off of 2019 SBMC-SIP activities.
- Disbursement of the 1st and 2nd tranche of project implementation support funds to beneficiary school/community under the 2019 SBMC-SIP programme implementation.
- Conduct of the Mid-Term monitoring of the 2019 SBMC-SIP projects.
- Conduct of the final monitoring of the 2019 SBMC-SIP projects.
- Completion, certification and utilization of all 2019 SBMC-SIP projects.
Public and Private Partnership (PPP)
- Meeting with various categories of stakeholders.
- Presentation of draft Framework for general stakeholder input,
- Presentation of Final draft of the Framework for criticism/editing. Printing of Partnership Framework and distribution to partners.
- Development of PPP Trainers‟ Guide.
- Training of Trainers (key stakeholder representatives) on the implementation of Framework.
- Implementation of PPP activities to ensure continuity and evidence-based result.
- Supervision, reportage and documentation of PPP Report.
- Presentation and publication of stakeholder collective roles in basic education.
- Recognition and Award to major player.